Sunday, August 25, 2013

Zucchini Potato Tart



This is the perfect lunch or light supper dish and is wonderful with different meats-- or leave the meats out entirely, if you prefer. I love how the tomatoes take on a roasted flavor as it bakes. This dish is a real breeze with a mandoline slicer- have I told you how nice this tool is? I have fallen in love with it for thinly slicing garlic when I sauté vegetables, slicing carrots thinly for salads (my kids don't love big chunks of anything hard to chew- eating a salad will take forever!). I also love to use this slicer for the veggies in this dish. I'm so crazy that I almost took it to my parents house when I went for a visit the last time because it is cuts down on prep time so much! Anyways, back to the recipe-- check this out and give it a try and see my notes at the bottom.

Serves: 6-8
Ingredients:
  • 1 pie crust
  • 1 small yellow squash, thinly sliced
  • 1 small zucchini squash, thinly sliced
  • 1 large or 3 small potatoes, thinly sliced (may leave skins on)
  • 1 medium or large onion- I used a mix of red and sweet onion, diced
  • 1/4 pound ham, diced (may use bacon or other meat)
  • 1 cup shredded cheese of choice- I used mix of cheddar and monterey jack
  • 1 large tomato or 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
  • oregano, divided, crushing in palm of hand before sprinkling over tart
  • seasoned salt/pepper
  • celery salt
  • 2-3 Tbsp milk
  • 5 eggs



Directions:
  • After your vegetables are sliced, cover the potatoes so they do not brown.
  • Place pie crust in a deep dish 10 inch pie pan. 
  • Begin layering about half of each of the vegetables except the tomatoes, seasoning well with salt/pepper and herbs between each layer.
  • Then sprinkle top of vegetables with onion and cheese and then ham or meat. 
  • Repeat layers, seasoning each layer well until all the squash, potatoes, onion and meat is in the pie.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and milk together with 1/4- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt/pepper and then pour over the vegetables in the pie crust.
  • Arrange tomato slices over the top and sprinkle with more salt/pepper and crushed oregano. Cut a couple smaller slices into 1/2 to make crescent shapes and place them in the center to form a swirl or pinwheel effect.
  • Fold the top edges of the pie crust over the pie.
  • Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees for approximately 1 hour- 1 hour and 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender to fork. Remove foil for the last 30 minutes.
  • Remove from oven and sprinkle more cheese on top if desired.
*Note: If you want this to bake quicker,  sauté the squash and potatoes with a couple tablespoons of butter or oil for about 5 minutes until they are just beginning to soften. Then follow the recipe as above. This will shorten the baking time by at least half.

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

I love to receive feedback . So feel free to leave me a message and make my day! If you have a blog, leave a link so I can stop by your site and leave some comments, too. If you don't have a blog, you can leave a message with your first name and leave the website space empty. Unfortunately, due to excessive spam, I have enabled the word verification in order to leave a message.