Thursday, August 8, 2013

Blueberry Buckle (coffeecake)




This is one of the recipes I remember my mom making throughout my childhood and I always thought the name was so funny. It wasn't until just recently when I was watching Alton Brown on "Good Eats" talk about his Blueberry Buckle and how a Buckle was actually an old-fashioned coffee cake that I understood the name. Don't ask me to explain or remember how the word "buckle" has anything to do with a cake!

Anyways, I love this cake because it is easy to make, full of fruit and a dense but moist cake that is a perfect treat for any occasion. I don't remember my mom ever putting a glaze on top, but it adds a nice touch. I also added the almond extract to the cake and put vanilla in the glaze, but you could use whatever flavor you like in the cake and glaze-- lemon or vanilla would be great, even coconut and mix some coconut in with the crumble topping. Also, try this with 1/2 cup chopped nuts added in the crumb topping, as well. This cake is just perfect for switching up the flavors and fruits! So give it a try and have fun with it.


Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup shortening (I use palm oil shortening), or you may use another oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract (if using vanilla- increase it to 1 or 1 1/2 tsp)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups well drained blueberries
   Topping:
  • 1/2 cup sugar (I used brown sugar)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup soft butter
   Glaze:
  • 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 Tbsp milk, more if needed
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  • In a large bowl, mix sugar and shortening together until well blended. Add in egg and wisk together. Stir in the milk and extract.
  • In a smaller bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Mix into the wet ingredients in thirds.
  • Fold in the blueberries carefully so as not to break up the berries. Batter will be very thick.
  • Put in a greased 8x8 or 9x9 inch baking pan and press out to the corners of the pan, making sure it is pretty evenly distributed in the pan.
  • In small bowl previously used for dry ingredients, mix together topping dry ingredients and then cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or fork until dry ingredients have combined well with the butter- should be little clumps without a lot of extra loose flour mixture.
  • Sprinkle evenly over top of the cake batter in the pan.
  • Bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  • While cake is cooling on a wire rack, mix up the ingredients for a glaze, adding milk 1Tbsp at a time until it reaches the desired consistency. If it gets too wet and runny, add more sugar. Cover glaze until cake cools.
  • After cake has cooled completely, use a spoon and drizzle the glaze over top of the cake, back and forth. Cut and serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive feedback . So feel free to leave me a message and make my day! If you have a blog, leave a link so I can stop by your site and leave some comments, too. If you don't have a blog, you can leave a message with your first name and leave the website space empty. Unfortunately, due to excessive spam, I have enabled the word verification in order to leave a message.