Monday, January 21, 2013

Baking Mix (Biscuits, Pancakes, etc)




Here is another one of the mixes I came up with recently through trying different recipes and incorporating ones that I already use and love. As I already wrote previously, I have been looking for more mixes that are homemade because they are great for saving time, but they also save money and allow me to control more what our family eats. It is hard to find mixes that are part wheat flour and do not use partially hydrogenated oils.

This mix can be used in place of any baking mix in recipes, as well as to make biscuits or make into pancakes (although I have a buttermilk pancake mix I previously posted that I prefer). I also used palm shortening since it is naturally solid and does not turn rancid at room temperature. I had to order palm shortening online (I bought from Tropical Traditions) since it is not always readily available in many grocery stores in the U.S.

Makes about 9 batches of biscuits or pancakes
Ingredients:

  • 10 cups flour total (may divide into different types of flour but is best if not using more than 1/2 whole wheat flour)- I used 6 cups white flour, 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour and 2 cups white whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup baking powder
  • 2 Tbsp cream of tartar
  • 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp salt
  • 5 Tbsp sugar
  • 2 cups shortening or butter
  • 2 cups dry milk powder
Directions:
  • In a very large bowl or clean bucket/dishpan, mix all the dry ingredients together except the dry milk. 
  • Cut in the shortening or butter until it is mixed throughout the dry ingredients and is about pea-sized
  • Stir in the dry milk and mix together well.
  • Store in a cool dry place in a 1 gallon sized container. If using butter, you should keep it in the freezer or at least the refrigerator.

ac ac ac ac ac ac 

To Make Biscuits:
  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  • Mix together 1 1/2 cups of baking mix with 1/2 cup milk in a medium bowl. (Add it gradually and use a little less if you want to make the dough drier so it can be rolled/cut out).
  • Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or just until the tops are golden brown.
  • Remove to a cooling rack.
To Make Pancakes:
  • In a medium bowl, beat together 1 egg, 1 cup of milk and 1 tsp vanilla.
  • Add in 1 1/2 cup of baking mix and stir just until moistened being careful not to overmix.
  • Fry on a greased, hot frying pan or griddle.



Adapted from Baking Mix recipe in Simply In Season, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive feedback . So feel free to leave me a message and make my day! If you have a blog, leave a link so I can stop by your site and leave some comments, too. If you don't have a blog, you can leave a message with your first name and leave the website space empty. Unfortunately, due to excessive spam, I have enabled the word verification in order to leave a message.