This is another one of my favorite brunch casseroles and it is perfect for those times you have a bunch of different vegetables and want to throw together something satisfying and balanced in no time at all. It can easily be an easy lunch or dinner with a salad, as well.
Makes 6 servings
- 1 cup chopped zucchini (about 1 smaller)- you can always add more
- 1 large tomato, chopped- about 1 cup, or may use chopped cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 medium - large onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup baking mix of choice
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt (may use a seasoned salt)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning blend, crushed in palm of hand (or 1/2- 3/4 tsp oregano, crushed)
- 2 eggs
- cheese of choice for topping - I like Monterey Jack, Cheddar and Mozzarella
- green onion and parsley or cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease square baking dish- 8x8 or 9 inch pie plate (I doubled everything and put in 13x9 inch pan because I like leftovers!).
- Sprinkle chopped vegetables and parmesan cheese evenly over baking dish.
- Stir baking mix, milk, salt, pepper, seasoning and eggs together and pour over top of the vegetables and cheese.
- Bake uncovered about 35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove to wire rack and sprinkle with cheese for topping. Cool 5 minutes and then garnish with fresh chopped parsley or cilantro and sliced green onions, if desired.
*This is also wonderful with 1 cup cooked chicken or sausage added in with vegetables when assembling the casserole.
[Adapted from Bisquick Breakfast and Brunches recipe booklet, 1999]